Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Artrageous Fridays April 2011

Once a quarter, downtown Columbia has Artrageous Fridays.  It's an event where many places downtown have sales and display artwork by various artists.  This past Friday, it was cold, like when they do the January Artrageous Fridays, so it wasn't the most pleasant weather I could picture.

We picked up a booklet of the venues that participate in Artrageous Fridays at Poppy.  It was a very nice booklet, told a little bit about each place and what they had available.  The biggest problem I saw was that it only listed the address of each venue.  I couldn't find a map for the life of me.  So I wasn't sure if things were close together, worth the walk, or in some cases, even where it was located in the first place!  I see this as a horrible oversight for the event.  Especially when it's cold, I want to know how long it's going to take me to get to the next place where I can get warm again.  It probably didn't help that we went to Red Mango, a frozen yogurt and smoothie place, but the place was new and I just had to try it.  (I personally like YogoLuv better, but the difference between the two is pretty slight.)

My recommendation is that this is an ok event if you are looking for an excuse to go downtown or if you've had your eye on something at a store downtown and may want to catch a sale.  Otherwise, I'm not sure it's any different than going downtown any other night of the week.  I'm also not sure there are that many things for kids to do at this event unless you are going out to eat, so I'm going to label this event as an adult event.

Here are some pictures from the night.  Sorry they are so dark, my camera isn't the greatest and I forgot to take pictures until it was pretty late in the evening.

Here is a picture from Bluestem where we were checking out Mike's woodworking competition.  (My husband sells things at Poppy, a similar store around the corner.)
 9th Street
 Broadway

No comments:

Post a Comment